|Also known as|| Queen Alice|
The Torture Artist
|Relatives|| Charlie Quinn †|
|Race|| Earth Human|
Queen of Fillory
|School|| Princeton University (formerly)|
|Portrayed by||Olivia Taylor Dudley|
|First Appearance||Unauthorized Magic|
|Last Appearance||We Have Brought You Little Cakes|
Born into the Quinn family, a family well renown for their magical prowess, Alice is an extremely talented magician, far more advanced than most of her classmates. After being admitted to Brakebills, having tracked down and forced her way in, Alice begins to research her brother, Charlie, and the mysterious circumstances surrounding his death. In doing so, Alice, with the aid of Quentin, Penny, and Kady, reveal themselves to the Beast, a malevolent entity from the magical world of Fillory, the previously believed fictional setting of a famous book series. Alice soon begins to enter a relationship with Quentin while at Brakebills South, due to not-so-subtle prompting by Professor Mayakovsky. In the wake of the Beast’s attack Alice, along with the rest of the Physical Kids, begin an expedition to Fillory, She holds the title: Queen Alice, The Wise given by Eliot in Fillory.
Alice is a rather classy dressed girl to go with her smarts with shoulder length blonde hair and blue eyes, she also wears glasses and a necklace that looks like an old-fashioned pocket watch.
Alice is a quiet girl when Quentin first meets her and is shy around others. She begins to open up to others as she tries to find out what happened to her brother Charlie. On occasion, her indifferent facade breaks and she is easily capable of being mad, such as when Quentin cheated on her by having an emotion-induced threesome with Margo and Eliot or when the possibility of bringing back her brother was gone. Like her brother, she can be reckless about using dangerous magic and when she's uncomfortable, she tends to isolate herself.
As a Niffin, due to lacking her shade and thus her sense of morality and empathy, Alice is much more devious and deadly, as well as knowledgeable about the complex laws of magic. Due to this, she made significant rivals.
When restored, Alice displayed a hatred of her humanity, as she enjoyed being a Niffin. She also had frustration with her weakened powers and human needs. Sometime after magic vanished, however, she seems to have made peace with her new life and has returned to Brakebills.
Magic and AbilitiesEdit
- Magician: Alice is a prestigious magician and is known to be studious, with her possessing knowledge of a variety of magical fields and praxis. Alice's magic is stronger than most of her classmates, making her fear her own magic, as she stated that she doesn't even know her own limits, causing her to hold back whenever she uses it. She's demonstrated some of her advanced skill by animating objects, manipulating light, and performing rudimentary battle magic, even though she hadn't had mastery over her emotions, a key requirement. She was made even more powerful when she consumed Ember's 'Essence', giving her power equivalent of a master magician. While Alice was still affected by the major boost, she decided to test her limits, growing a seed to a fully grown tree in a matter of seconds on her own. Her abilities are increased even more as a Niffin, allowing her to kill the Beast with her bare hands, but upon being restored as a human, her magic is significantly weaker. As a human, Alice still retained her knowledge that she obtained while she was a Niffin, though she was not powerful enough to perform spells, as Mayakovsky referred to her as being an infant in relation to her magical ability. This knowledge, however, is fleeting, as Alice's human mind cannot comprehend the complexity of the elements she had been exposed to, so she spent her first few days trying to write down everything she could before the knowledge was gone completely.
- Phosphoromancy: Alice's discipline allows her to manipulate light to a multitude of effects, from concentrating it to burn objects such as when she carved a hole in a wooden door, to bending it in order to make things invisible such as her hand or her friends while they were in the Neitherlands.
- Battle Magic: Due to the looming threat of The Beast, Alice and her friends taught themselves battle magic with a little help from Kady. As battle magic normally requires years to master, a key element being complete control over one's emotions, they took the shortcut to quicken the process which was bottling up their emotions - though Alice and Penny decided not to use this method after a while. When Alice got a major power upgrade from Ember's 'Essence', Alice could cast the Rhinemann Ultra, a battle magic spell that could only be used by master magicians. However, after Alice's boost ran out, she was unable to finish the spell and it overpowered her, transforming her into a Niffin.
- Interdimensional Travel: When Alice became a Niffin, her power grew exponentially, allowing her to travel anywhere throughout the universe. With Alice being human again, she has lost this ability, as her magic is substantially weakened by the transformation.
- Gifted Intellect: Alice is able to grasp the full comprehension of magical theory as taught at Brakebills. As is the standard for all Magicians, she possesses at least an Above Average level of intelligence that enables her to grasp the concept of magic and apply it in the physical world.
- Multilingual: Alice, as well as every other Magician, is able to speak and read in a multitude of languages, as it is a basic requirement for spell casting.
FriendsEditBrakebills, initially assuming it to be more for interest on Margo's behalf than genuine caring. Margo helped Alice find Emilly Greenstreet, but was more interested in Greenstreet's gossip than Alice, though she was empathetic upon hearing the circumstances of Alice's older brother, Charlie Quinn, and his death. When Alice dies, she was initially blunt about it, telling Eliot that Alice was never their friend, but a package that came with Quentin. This was Margo's way of dealing with her emotions and deal with their ongoing problems in Fillory. She supported Eliot's proclamation of erecting a statue of Alice in her honor and was shocked to hear of her revival.
Penny Adiyodi: Although not close to each other, Penny and Alice had some bonding moments, and Margo even states that she knew Penny cared about her. They also had a sexual relationship when Alice wanted revenge for Quentin sleeping with Eliot and Margo while drunk off emotions.
Eliot Waugh: To be added
Alice was very fond of her older brother as she grew up, as he was the only one she could talk to about her problems. When he died at Brakebills, she was devastated and made it her goal to find out what happened to her brother. This inevitably brought her to track down the location of Brakebills after she'd been denied admittance, stealing her parents' Alumni Key to bypass their wards. Upon discovering the circumstances surrounding Charlie's death, Alice becomes determined to try to revert from a Niffin to a human again, nearly becoming a Niffin herself if not for Quentin's intervention.
Stephanie and Daniel Quinn: The relationship between her and her parents is strained and neglectful, as Alice's parents failed to try and understand their daughter and were oblivious to her emotional needs as she aged. However, upon hearing of her death, they mourned deeply for their daughter, realizing they'd lost both of their children.
Quentin and Alice met after Quentin attempted to get Alice to tutor him on magic, apologizing to her for the way Margo and Eliot had treated her earlier that day. Later, after Quentin was marked by Jane Chatwin with a sigil that he saw in Alice's book the night before, she recruited him in performing a summoning for her brother, Charlie, who had died. They later agree to work together to cover up the mistake they did during the summoning when the Beast manipulated them all into weakening Brakebills wards. Following the attack of the Beast, Charlie Quinn reveals himself, now transformed into a Niffin. After failing in her attempt to reverse her brother's state as a Niffin, and nearly transforming into one herself, Quentin took the opportunity to box Charlie, saving Alice, but putting a strain on their friendship. As their friendship progressed, the two began to develop feelings for each other, which they forced to act upon while attending Brakebills South by Professor Mayakovsky. Their relationship was intense, due to the animalistic urges experienced as foxes, but Alice stated that they'd been moving too fast, and wanted to see what was real and what was a byproduct of their fox urges. They were placed on hold after Quentin cheated on her with Eliot Waugh and Margo Hanson while under the side effects of a hedge spell, leaving her furious at Quentin,causing her to seek revenge in the form of sleeping with Penny to get back at him. While preparing to fight Martin Chatwin in Fillory, they talk about their relationship and admitted to still love each other. When Alice transformed herself into a Niffin, Quentin was broken, mourning her while at Castle Whitespire, before quitting magic all together as he grieved her loss. After seeing visions of Alice more frequently, Quentin attempted to perform an ancient Egyptian ritual, with the help of Daniel and Stephanie, her parents, and it was revealed that Alice was trapped inside Quentin's Cacodemon sigil. Alice terrorized him while he tries to find a way to restore her humanity. Dean Fogg and Quentin's friends, after Penny discovers Quentin's keeping Niffin Alice trapped in him, tried convincing him of releasing and boxing her, as the strain of holding a Niffin in his body was killing him, and would kill her too if she were bound to him. Though he eventually released her, he promised he'd find a way to save her, spending the remainder of his time researching and creating a working of magic powerful enough to restore a Niffin. During his search, he meets an Alice from an alternate timeline, one who became an expert on Shades after the Beast's attack, which Quentin deduced to be the missing ingredient for restoring Niffin Alice. Niffin Alice isn't seen again until Quentin restores her again by performing a ritual he'd created. Afterwards, he invests in her recovery, reminding her of benefits of being human, including, but not limited to, bacon and sex. The two are last seen attending the mundane, magicless Brakebills.
- The role of Alice was originally set to be portrayed by Sosie Bacon before she was replaced by Olivia Taylor Dudley.
- Alice technically started out as a hedge witch, as her magic was self-taught before she reached Brakebills.