Dean of Brakebills
|School||Brakebills (graduated, Alumni)|
|Portrayed by||Rick Worthy|
|First Appearance||Unauthorized Magic|
|Last Appearance||We Have Brought You Little Cakes|
Comfortable in his position of power as head of Brakebills University, Dean Henry Fogg is challenged when his students return from Fillory with an experience he has no expertise in. In order to help them save the existence of magic and kill The Beast, he must call on a former love interest – taking his students by complete surprise. With a great deal of knowledge and abilities, Dean Fogg does everything he can to provide his students with the tools they need to succeed in this crucial quest.
Henry Fogg is an African American man, with a strong build and broad shoulders. He is bald, and almost never smiles. After his first encounter with the Beast, he's forced to wear a pair magic glasses after being blinded. Fogg always presents himself elegantly, owning a variety of tailored suits, complimented with intricately knotted ties. The area surrounding his eyes suffers from permanent damage, though thanks to the medical staff at Brakebills, the scar tissue has healed relatively well.
Henry Fogg is an efficient man who knows how to intervene in the most dire situations, although some of his opponents describe him as cowardly or selfish. Dean Fogg is a man who takes into account the preservation of his students, although he doesn't think twice to punish them severely when they commit serious errors.
Magic and AbilitiesEdit
- Master Magician: Henry Fogg is a master magician, who excels as a Knowledge disciple. A former student and Alumni of Brakebills University , Henry Fogg has the knowledge and skill of a formidable magician, accumulating over the years to grant him the power of a Master Magician and earning him the right to serve as the school's Dean of Brakebills. As such, he retains great insight to the magical mishaps of his students, and is often sought out for help by many skilled magicians. Professor Mayakovsky, however, looks down upon Fogg, due to his reputation of being cowardly and selfish. However, Dean Fogg was notably able to spar one on one with The Beast, albeit only briefly. As a tribute to his power, he was shown as being unaffected by the Beast's paralyzing spell over an entire class during it's appearance, and is able to retain his memories from previous timelines, with only The Beast itself being able to do the same.
- Battle Magic: Fogg is proficient in battle magic, capable of quickly summoning a spell as he charged into Professor Van Der Weghe's class to face The Beast. The spell, though ultimately ineffectual, was substantial enough to send the Beast back into the table. Fogg recognizes his slights in this field, notably referring Quentin and his allies to a former Professor, and ex-lover, a pixie named Bigby, who used to teach a Battle Magic course at Brakebills before the school board deemed the class too dangerous.
- Gifted Intellect: Henry is able to grasp the full comprehension of magical theory as taught at Brakebills. As is the standard for all Magicians, he possesses at least an Above Average level of intelligence that enables him to utilize the concept of magic and apply it in the physical world.
- Multilingual: Fogg, as well as every other Magician, is able to speak and read in a multitude of languages, as it is a basic requirement for spellcasting.
- Experienced Educator & Administrator: As Dean of Brakebills, he is entrusted with the safety of his students from external forces and internal mishaps attributed to young magicians. As such, he personally oversees the abilities of potential Brakebills' students during their Entrance Exam, and was undaunted at the task of facing the Beast.
- Whilst in the novels Henry Fogg is described as a portly, blond, caucasian man, in the TV series he is a bald man of African descent.