|Also known as|| Hedgebitch|
Hedge Witch Buffy
Our Lady of the Tree
|Status|| Alive (40th Timeline)|
Deceased (23rd Timeline)
|Relatives||Mackenzie Wicker (sister)|
|Occupation|| University Student (formerly)|
|School|| Columbia University (formerly)|
Brakebills (39 alternate timelines)
|Organizations|| Marina's Safehouse (formerly)|
Free Trader Beowulf (formerly)
|Portrayed by||Stella Maeve|
|First Appearance||Unauthorized Magic|
|Last Appearance||Will You Play With Me?|
Julia Wicker is a talented magician and Quentin Coldwater's best friend from childhood. After being rejected by Brakebills (in the 40th timeline), Julia spiraled down a dark path in her pursuit of magic, eventually finding her way to the magical underbelly of New York City. Julia has always been a perfectionist and an overachiever. She embraced pragmatism; a nice apartment, a respectable boyfriend and an acceptance to Yale for a while. Eventually, due to her overachiever and perfectionist attitude she decided to give it all up for magic. Julia has gotten everything she has ever wanted except for magic, and she will do anything to get it.
This section requires expansion
This section needs a rewrite
Learning about MagicEdit
Julia finds her self at Brakebills facing the same entrance exam as Quentin. Julia, however, fails and is denied access to Brakebills. She argues with Professor Van Der Weghe when she's told she won't be allowed to attend Brakebills, pressing him to reconsider. When it becomes clear that her arguments aren't going to succeed, she manages to covertly, using her ring, gouge a scratch into her arm, ensuring that she'll remember that magic exists.
Waking later with her memories wiped, Julia tries to remember why she cut her arm, eventually remembering fragments of what happened to her and leading her to intensely research magic. She finds a spell on the internet to create fireworks. This develops into an obsession that overtakes everything else in her life. Her boyfriend James contacts Quentin for help, and reminds him that Julia's birthday is coming up. At the party, Julia shows Quentin the fireworks spell, reveals that she remembers Brakebills, and begs him for help. Quentin, protecting his own status as student at Brakebills, tells Julia to move on and find something else to do with her life. The words to come out more harshly than he seems to have intended, and the two friends split on bad terms.
A stranger follows Julia to the bathroom and attacks. Trying to protect herself, she shoots fireworks out of her hands. It turns out the attack was a test, which Julia passed. The stranger, Pete, takes her to a collective of Hedge Witches, where she is tested once again alongside another girl. The two of them are sealed in a meat locker, with a (temporarily) reanimated corpse, and must use the limited resources at hand to find a way to escape. When the two succeed in escaping, the other girl reveals herself to be Marina, the "Head Bitch in Charge" of New York, who announces that she likes Julia and agrees to teach her.
Unlike the students at Brakebills, the Hedges have to hunt for every single spell and ritual. Despite the limited resources, Julia learns quickly, attaining a number of stars--the Hedges way of marking levels of magical skill or knowledge.
Then Quentin and Eliot Waugh appear, searching for a book stolen from Brakebills. They are rebuffed by the Hedge Witches, including Julia. This leads to another argument between Julia and Quentin, in which Quentin derides the Hedge Witches, telling Julia that she's "better than this", in addition to bringing up the fact that she knew he was attracted to her and ignored it. She responds by asking if she's being punished for that, then asks him if he loves magic, because she does. Julia leaves Quentin on the street and returns to the Hedges' safehouse.
Later, Marina and Julia trap Quentin in a Scarlotti's Web. The trap turns out to be an elaborate ruse by Marina to force Dean Fogg to lower the Brakebills wards and allow Marina to regain knowledge and memories from her time at Brakebill. When Julia realizes how dangerous the spell is for Quentin, she tries to end the ordeal, leaving Marina to try to help Quentin. Her efforts are rebuffed, and she leaves Brakebills with Marina once more. However, Marina is upset with Julia for her betrayal, and expels her from the safe house, marking her as a rejected Hedge Witch by burning the stars on her arm. Julia returns to her apartment, where James confronts her about her erratic behaviour. Julia "admits" to an Adderall addiction, showing him a sobriety chip as evidence that she's been attending Narcotics Anonymous meetings.
Julia returns to the safehouse, demanding that Pete return her spells. Pete claims not to want her to get hurt, saying that Marina is the boss, whether or not he agrees with it. Though she pretends that everything is back to normal, telling James that she's working on a paper and baking, Julia continues to research magic by herself. When an internet spell results in burns, she calls Pete, who tends to her injury. The two of them have sex, which Julia tries to leverage into access to magic. Pete tells her about another safehouse, but Julia finds it lacking--she already knows what they have to teach. Pete suggests that the two of them go away together to find other, bigger safehouses. Julia refuses, saying that she loves her boyfriend, James.
When Julia tries to go back to her old life by meeting James in a pastry shop, she finds that his memories of her have been stolen. Now truly alone, Julia angrily returns to Marina's safehouse to confront Pete, but leaves unsatisfied.
When she returns to the other safehouse, she is rejected. Another rejected Hedge which, Kady 's mother, Hannah recognizes Julia as another outcast and convinces Julia to work together. Julia learns everything Hannah can teach. Once they are both the same level, the ladies decide to move forward and learn more. Determined, Julia formulates a plan to steal Marinas knowledge. Hannah introduces Kady, dragging her in on the plan, but things get tense as Kady reveals how Hannah was outcast. Nevertheless, Kady plays her part in the plan, delivering the spell Julia wrote to Marina. Unfortunately Marina sets a trap and kills Hannah.
Julia is released from police custody, where she gave what testimony she could about Hannah's death. Her sister, Mackenzie, picks Julia up and takes her home before announcing her intention to stay with Julia. When Julia balks, it is revealed that their mother is a very well connected person that could have Julia locked away. It is implied that she did exactly that to Julia and Mackenzie's father. Traumatized and lost, Julia enters rehab, where she tries to learn to live life without magic again.
While Julia struggles to write a letter to Quentin, Marina visits her and states that in killing Hannah, she was just protecting herself from a thief. She also warned Julia not to come to mess with her again, before leaving. In a group session, she hears a man preaching about god and calls him out for trying to trick people with a "crutch". Richard Corrigan, the preacher then invites Julia to join him for private sessions. Within the private sessions he reveals he is a magician and begins to guide her towards repentance and helpful magic. Julia is skeptical but after performing a spell Richard gives her, she becomes convinced of the existence of a higher, god-level power. Richard tells her that the presence she felt was a goddess, which he and his coven refer to as "Our Lady Underground".
As Julia finds her way back to magic with Richard's help, she finds a peaceful coven that eventual plan to meet up at Julia's flat and summon Our Lady Underground. Kady shows up as the entire coven meets face-to-face for the first time. Though there is initial tension between the two, they settle their differences in the aftermath of Hannah's murder to prepare the magical ritual that is needed for them to "level up". As they perform a myriad of spells together, the interactions between the two become less awkward and they a bond begins to form between them.
After summoning Our Lady Underground, the coven realised that they had been tricked by Reynard the Fox, a trickster god that purposefully misleading the devout. Reynard proceeded to kill nearly everyone present either through ripping the heart out, snapping their neck or possession. Reynard stole Richard's body and tried to kill Kady but Julia interferred. This allowed Kady to escape but Reynard then raped Julia. This left her "God Touched", alone, scared and powered up. Later she would find out it also left her pregnant. After she awoke from the encounter, Julia contacted Marina. Marina found Julia covered in blood trying to clean up the other coven members. The only thing Julia asked was for Marina to wipe her memory of the entire event and give her something else, Marina agreed.
Because she had no memories of what Reynard did, Julia believed that the coven succeeded in summoning Our Lady Underground and joined Quentin and the other Brakebill students in their quest to defeat the Beast.
Making a Deal with MartinEdit
Julia and Martin arrived on Earth, where they sealed the terms of their partnership with a Word as Bond. While grinding out a plan to trap and kill Reynard, Martin offered Julia the chance to have her Shade removed, thus ending her pain, and subsequently losing her humanity. He promptly begins the procedure when she expressed her curiosity, reaching his hand into her soul to grasp her Shade, to which Julia gasped at the sensation of her troubles momentarily vanishing. However, Julia ultimately rejects Martin's offer, ordering him to put her Shade back in place, from which she needed to catch her breath as the pain hit her all over again. Recovering, she continues to plan their attack on Reynard.
As she created the foundations for a mock summoning, similar to the one her and the members of Free Trader Beowulf used, Martin explored her apartment, singing as he waited for her to finish. When Julia pointed out his hindrance to the process, he begs out suggestions to help, in that she should try a new symbol to summon the god, since Reynard would recognize the old one. Martin also suggests using bait, which he delivers to Julia a captured Marina. Julia disagrees with using a hostage but asks Marina for help, which is rejected. Julia meets with Quentin, who warns her of the Magicians' plan to kill the Beast and wants her to cut ties with Martin. She rejects it, seeing Martin as the only one who could kill Reynard, and the two do not reach a mutual agreement. But before leaving, Julia does warn Quentin that castle was cursed by Martin. Marina returns to Julia's apartment, agreeing to help, and the two Hedge Witches and the Beast continue the efforts in taking down Reynard.
She, Marina, and Martin went to an abandoned warehouse so Marina could perform the ritual to lure out Reynard. As she was performing it, Martin teleported himself and Julia away from the area, to prevent Reynard from discovering their trap. Julia made her way back to the warehouse to find Marina gone, and Martin predicted the Fox answered the summons but wanted to stalk Marina to her home rather than attack her on the spot. The two made it to Marina's apartment but she set wards up, preventing them from helping as she was being tortured by Reynard. They took down the wards and Martin was able to trap Reynard. As Julia was preparing to stab him with the knife Penny arrived and grabbed the Beast. Julia grabbed Penny, trying to stop him and she dropped the knife. Penny teleported them all to Fillory where the Physical Kids were prepared to attempt to kill Martin, but Julia stood in the way and Quentin was forced to intervene, saving Julia but allowing Martin to escape. After that Julia was promptly brought back to Earth by Penny. After trying to tell Penny to take her back to Fillory, he merely stated it wasn't his problem to deal with. Julia, in spite, snagged and broke the two charms which enabled the Traveler to control his already cursed hands, much to Penny's dismay. Julia returned to Marina's apartment where she found Marina's mangled body, Reynard and the magic knife were gone.
Quest to kill a GodEdit
After this failure, Julia located her friend Kady who had relapsed into her heroin addiction after the events of Reynard's attack. Julia helped Kady recover and enlisted her in her quest to kill Reynard. Using a spell the pair stole from the Brakebills library to temporarily resurrect Marina, they attained from her the knowledge that Reynard was on earth in the 80's and left a trail of murder and rape in his wake until a powerful hedge witch, Dana, banished him. Julia and Kady began searching for Dana but soon realized Julia was pregnant with Reynard's child. When they located Dana she held Julia against her will stating that she banished Reynard all those years ago by harnessing the power of the birth of her child, a product of Reynard's sexual assault on Dana. The demigods birth provided enough magic to banish him, she told Julia that she must undergo birthing his child in order to banish him once again. Kady was able to locate Julia and rescue her, taking Dana's Haxen Paxen (a magical creature that provides a type of 'invisibility' from magical detection, even gods) leaving Dana unprotected from Reynard who quickly found and killed her.
When attending an appointment to abort the demigod fetus, it displayed powerful magic controlling the minds of the staff at the abortion clinic and forcing the physician to kill herself. Julia and Kady were left seeking assistance from the underground magical community, specifically a Mudang, who specializes in such matters. The hefty cost of such a ritual led Julia and Kady to work with Quentin and his friends to rob a bank. After the robbery, Julia underwent the ritual and aborted the child, but during the procedure, her shade was severed.
Without her shade, Julia felt a tremendous relief from her previous trauma. No longer bound by shame, fear, regret, or pain, only a desire to achieve her goal and kill Reynard at all costs. Julia's behavior without her shade became selfish and reckless, no longer bound by morality or empathy, often endangering the lives of those she previously cared for with no thought to their wellbeing as long as it furthered her goals. Quentin sent Julia to Fillory to keep her safe from Reynard and find something that could conceal her from him. Making a deal with the Lorian illusion magician Illario, she acquired a charm that could make her undetectable to a god. Upon returning to earth, Julia, Kady, and Penny located Reynard and Dana's child, Senator John Gaines, Julia produced a knife and expressed a plan to kill John and use his demigod energy to kill Reynard. Kady and Penny prevented Julia from harming the senator and instead kidnapped him, taking him to Brakebills where he would be safe behind the schools protective wards. After Julia nearly got her best friend Quentin killed by using him as a potential weapon against Reynard (Quentin having niffin Alice sealed within him), Kady locked Julia within the 'clean room' in Brakebills, preventing her from using any magic. Telling Julia that she was simply too dangerous and reckless. Julia then began reflecting on the person she once was.
After being released from the clean room by Dean Fogg Julia began to carefully consider her actions and how they affected those around her based on her memories of empathy and what her previous self would have done. Quentin accompanied Julia to the underworld to locate her shade. While in the underworld Julia learned the true identity of Our Lady Underground, The goddess Persephone. Upon finding her shade, Quentin also found Alice's shade. They could only bring back one and after reflecting on the right thing to do, Julia opted to bring back Alice's shade and leave hers behind to help her friends over herself. Julia assisted in using Alice's shade to restore niffin Alice to human form and then began working with Kady and John to find a way to kill Reynard without killing John, Stating that it was possible for John to simply learn magic to kill Reynard himself. They learned that Reynard was killing hedge witches who prayed to and tried to summon Persephone because he once loved her until she abandoned him. After Reynard killed John's wife as punishment for working with Julia and Kady and attempting to force John to embrace his hate in an attempt to make John more like him, John committed suicide by forcing Kady to kill him so she and Julia could use his energy to create a weapon against Reynard.
Julia forged a god killing Bullet from Johns energy and set a trap for Reynard with Kady. The two used magic to simulate a storm that was often the setting for the appearance of Persephone on earth, fooling Reynard into believing she had returned. When Reynard arrived Julia was able to surprise him by using the invisibility charm she acquired in Fillory but before she could fire the gun, the storm instantly cleared and Reynard and Kady were frozen where they stood. At that moment Persephone appeared, pleading with Julia to spare Reynard because he was her son and warning her that killing a god had dire consequences. Appealing to Julia's capacity for mercy Persephone left the choice to Julia who ultimately decided to spare Reynard and allow Persephone to take him away. Kady was furious at Julia for essentially wasting John's death and leaving Reynard alive after everything they'd been through. After Kady stormed off, Julia discovered her shade waiting for her, a gift from Persephone.
The Loss of MagicEdit
With her shade restored, Julia was hit with all her emotions and trauma once again, compounded by the actions and choices she made without her shade. She remained alone in her apartment processing her trauma, experiencing panic attacks. Eliot then visited Julia to obtain the invisibility charm and, in an attempt to give Julia reprieve from her pain, asked her to help him and Quentin save Fillory from Ember. Julia traveled with Quentin to Vancouver to Umbers home and after Umber took Quentin into his Pocket World within a snow globe, Julia grabbed it and entered Fillory through the clock portal. When Ember began to destroy Fillory Julia shook the snow globe forcing Umber to exit his pocket world with Quentin right in front of Ember. Ember flew into a rage at his brother's betrayal and killed him. When Ember killed Umber Julia used the same spell she used to forge the god-killing bullet to create a god-killing sword out of Umbers energy. She provoked Ember to distract him while Quentin summoned the sword into his hands and stabbed Ember, Killing him. The murder of Ember, at the hands of a human, had severe consequences as warned by Persephone. The Old Gods, responsible for the creation of reality itself, in response to a human murdering a god, cut off access to magic from all worlds. Only creatures that are inherently magical (having magic in their DNA) were capable of using any magic, with all other magicians left powerless and all previous spells and enchantments slowly fading away.
Shortly after the loss of magic, Julia contacted Quentin and met with him on the Brakebills grounds which were no longer protected by its magical wards. She then showed Quentin something remarkable, She used a spell to summon sparks of energy from her fingertips, displaying an ability to still use magic. Quentin and Julia then began studying Julia's capabilities, Quentin believing that she may be the key to restoring all magic.
Path to GoddesshoodEdit
Julia began receiving messages from an unknown source through possessed people with milky white eyes. The entity instructed Julia on how she should be using the spark of magic within her. After Julia used the Truth Key while facing a mirror, it was revealed that it was Persephone that had been guiding her. It was then revealed that the source of Julia's magic had come from Reynard, having been taken from him by Persephone as punishment and given to Julia as a gift for her mercy in not killing him when she had the chance.
Over time, Julia discovered that her little amount of magic became stronger as she helped other people. Julia's first brush of godly power was shown when she healed Skye. Once she realized that Skye's necklace was killing her, Julia's eyes glowed a bright golden yellow and she froze Skye in time and healed her.
During the Season 3 finale, "Will You Play With Me?," Julia began to hear prayers of people from Fillory calling her "the Lady of the Tree" after she restored the Fillorian sentient forest to full growth (which she had previously destroyed while without her shade). Julia is then greeted by the Messenger Goddess Iris who tells her that they need to have a talk. Julia is told by Iris that she is now a full-fledged goddess and is to begin her training. When Julia mentions that she and her friends are in the middle of a quest, Iris assures her that her friends will be fine continuing without her. After saying goodbye to Quentin, Julia leaves with Iris to Iris' sanctuary, where she hears prayers, builds worlds, and comes to think.
Despite Iris' reassurances, Julia's thoughts remain preoccupied with her friends, who she still has a strong empathetic connection with. Julia meets up with her friends at Castle Blackspire after Alice, who is convinced that magic would be better off gone, has destroyed the The Seven Golden Keys. Julia tells Quentin that his bravery was what made her realize her purpose and proceeds to "horcrux" seven brand new keys in the same way that Prometheus had done. After she had finished remaking the keys, Julia was left incredibly weakened and stated that she is, "not connected to anything anymore."
Julia has long, wavy chocolate brown hair, dark brown eyes, and olive brown skin.
This section needs a rewrite
Julia is a headstrong, passionate young woman who is used to getting what she wants, attaining it at all costs. Her high intelligence only makes her all the more dangerous, as she would often disregard her own safety (as well as those of others) to reach her goals. Without her Shade, Julia was even more dangerous and destructive, stating that she could recall what it meant for her to feel emotions (like doubt, fear, and remorse), but she no longer deemed them relevant. This cold logic has pitted Julia against her allies even before she became Shadeless. Despite her ambition, she is a very kind and caring person. Elliot was able to empathize with Julia while she was in her broken state, as he recognized the actions of a person with a broken spirit due to his own emotional weaknesses.
When she realized she would lose her allies and friends due to her action, Julia made the conscious effort to gauge her actions based on her previous experiences and emotions, factoring in how the 'old Julia' would go about doing things. This new self-awareness made her comfortable leaving her own Shade in Elysium in order to rescue Alice's in order to help Quentin revive Alice from her state as a Niffin. Her own Shade agreed with this, as they both understood it was the right thing to do for her best friend. Shadeless Julia also spared the Trickster God, Reynard the Fox, due to her no longer pursuing her goals selfishly. When confronting a 23rd Timeline Quentin, Julia showed she could function without her shade and still do good.
Presently, Julia is using her magic for good and helping everyone she can with it.
Magic and AbilitiesEdit
- Magician: Though she lacks the formal training from a magical institution such as Brakebills, Julia has been able to use magic just as well as other mainstream magicians; the only difference being that she learned the spells in a purely practical way instead of first understanding the basics of magic like Quentin did. Nevertheless, this has made her no less capable than any other magician. Even Persephone has displayed an almost maternal affection for Julia, demonstrating that she is closer to the gods than most people. Some spellcraft she has displayed include conjuring invisible fire, teleporting objects, creating miniature thunderclouds, glamoring ID cards, and even performing reverse entropy (the final step to becoming a full-trained Hedge Magician). She has been able to do more sophisticated workings of magic when she and Marina hexed Quentin with the Scarlotti's Web, as well as when she and Richard utilized a benevolent form of the Scarlotti's Web to bring peace to a sick magician, and most notably when she and the members of Free Trader Beowulf summoned a god.
- Meta-Composition: In at least one of the 39 alternate timelines created by Jane Chatwin, when Julia was admitted to Brakebills, her discipline was revealed to be Meta-Composition, categorized as a Knowledge disciple. Although she hasn't been sorted into a discipline in the present timeline, Julia's comprehension of obscure magic, allowed her to create the Quarterback, a magical device that used Horomancy to manipulate time over a small area.
This section needs a rewrite
- Essence Boost: After being assaulted by Reynard The Fox, her magic was temporarily boosted to the equivalent of a master magician. While affected by the god's Essence, she was able to wield the Leo Blade, a weapon forged for master magicians; however, the boost has since run out.
- Fairy Magic: After making a deal with Irene McAllister, a powerless Julia was given the essence of a Fairy, which allowed her to use magic to find Alice Quinn. The magic was noted by Julia to have felt different; it was also visibly different than regular magic, appearing darker when being cast.
- Divine Magic: When the link to the Wellspring was severed by the Plumber, she was the only Magician shown to possess magic. This was revealed to be due to Persephone giving her Reynard's seed of power. Over time, she has been able to grow this spark of magic enough to wield the Leo Blade which marks her power level as being on par or above that of a master magician. Julia was also capable of doing magic without the use of her hands; this demonstrates a greater connection with magic, much like magical creatures and gods have. She eventually became a full-fledged goddess, known by the moniker: "Our Lady of the Tree" after she restored all of the Sentient Tress she burned when she had lost her shade.
- Virtuous Empowerment: After spending her time performing good deeds and answering prayers, Julia gained a tremendous amount of power and became a goddess; however, she sacrificed "every atom of power" to create a new set of the seven keys. It is unknown how much, if any, of the power she originally had remains within her now.
- Cosmic Awareness: Julia is able to sense people in need across great distances. She heard Josh when he needed her in Fillory, a boy having a fever across the globe, and where Reynard was on Earth.
- Empathy: Julia mentions multiple times that she is able to feel what other people are feeling. This ability is so advanced that it seems to border on telepathy. This ability was demonstrated when Julia felt Dean Fogg's desperation, Quentin's uncertainty regarding the fate of his father in relation to restoring magic, and other members of the group struggling at Castle Blackspire.
- Portal Creation: Julia is able to create portals to transfer herself and others to different locations, notably doing so to confront Reynard at a park after tracking him down with a locator spell.
- Healing: Julia has used her power to heal Kady when she was having a drug overdose; to heal Quentin's headache; to heal Marina's scars, migraines, and cigarette addiction in an alternate timeline; and to heal Dean Fogg's eyes when he was blind.
- Horomancy: When Skye was bleeding out due to her collar, Julia froze her in time to stop her death, then later reversed the effects. Julia demonstrated this ability again when she froze a powerless Reynard after he aimed a gun at her.
- Battle Magic: Julia was able to cast the Rhinemann Ultra against The Beast when brought to the 23rd timeline created by Jane Chatwin.
- Warding: Julia was able to replace all of the wards surrounding Brakebills to keep Irene out after the Fairy incident, amazing Dean Fogg with the power she was able to command.
- Interdimensional Travel: Julia can instantaneously transport herself and others across great distances and even between dimensions. She used this power to teleport herself to the Muntjac to answer Josh's "prayer" and Castle Blackspire and to teleport herself, Kady and Penny to where Reynard was.
- Natural Magic: While at Fillory, Julia passed the forest that she had once burned to the ground whilst shadeless. She then caused a sprout to form before then instantly causing fully grown trees to erupt from the earth, leaving a fully grown forest in its wake.
- Power Granting: Julia was able to give Quentin enough magic fuel to cast a single spell as he was preparing to journey to Castle Blackspire.
- World Creation: Though she never had the opportunity of making a world, Iris stated that she could make a world of her own if she wished.
- Gifted Intellect: Even without the full comprehension of magical theory as taught at Brakebills, Julia is still intelligent enough to understand its basics. As is the standard for all Magicians, Julia possesses an at least Above Average level of intelligence that enables her to grasp the concept of magic and apply it in the physical world. She was slated to go to Yale before her discovery and rejection from Brakebills, a testament to her intellect. Also, as revealed in The Girl Who Told Time, Julia was able to splice the sequence of two spells together due to her understanding of their mechanics.
- Multilingual: Julia, as well as every other Magician, is able to speak and read in a multitude of languages, as it is a basic requirement for spellcasting.
- Skilled Thief: Julia was able to lift the Leo Blade out from Alice's sheath undetected during the second confrontation with The Beast, as well as adeptly utilize a spell to empty an ATM in New York.
Julia and Quentin are childhood friends who grew apart after discovering magic, due to the separate ways both had to go to learn it. Before the time at Brakebills, Julia was shown to care deeply about Quentin and was aware of his crush on her. Nevertheless, she was in a relationship at the time with James. During the university time, they remained in contact but Quentin refused to help her when she showed him that she could do magic, and even hurt her feelings when he said that she could no more than a party trick. This led to Julia's wicked sense of revenge that trapped Quentin in a Scarlotti's Web which she immediately regrets. After that, apologies were done, but they only really regain contact when Quentin was explained about the timeloops, and told her she was always meant to go to Brakebills. After a period of reconciliation, the two begin to look past their previous issues, even going to Fillory together, yet they break again, this time with more regret and empathy for one another, when Julia aligns with Martin Chatwin to kill a Trickster God. However when it comes down to time to kill the beast, in the mess of the battle Quentin saves Julia so it is assumed that even when mad at one another they will always have that best friend bond. After this, they both get pulled into the tragedies going on in their own lives. After battle you see them both trying to cope and move forward from the tragedies of the past year, with Quentin losing Alice and Julia being pregnant with the trickster gods baby they each have a lot on their plates and spend some time without communicating, only rejoining to robbing a bank, and again to rescue Julia's shade. Currently, is not known how their friendship is, but they seem to reconcile fully and trusting each other, as Quentin was the only one that Julia confidence her magic to.
They met just each other in Marina's safe house but only start having problems when Julia aligns with Kady's mother, which ultimately kills her. Thanks to this, Kady despises Julia, a feeling that disappears when they have to work together in Free Trader Beowulf to complete their training. When Reynard intends to rip out Kady's heart, Julia stands in front of him and tells him to not touch her. The god rapes her instead and Kady runs, intending to go get help, as she explained after, but failing to do so. When Julia's agreement with The Beast fails, and the God ends up immune and killing Marina, she sees herself forced to look for Kady's help and finding her homeless and addicted to heroin. Julia takes her into a home and gives her comfort and both start enjoying each other, even calling themselves "best bitches" as a joke. Julia's forgiveness of the trickster God leads Kady to resent her as she is unable to understand why Julia did it. The status of their relationship is unknown at the moment and seems to still be on the ropes. However, Julia did use her magic to save Kady's life so it seems that there is still an amicable allegiance between the two.
Julia and Eliot did not interact very much until after her rape by Reynard. Eliot was able to pull her out of a depressive spiral by empathizing with her and giving her a goal to focus on, saving all of magic. Unspokenly, they bonded over their traumas and seem to have a sort of mutual respect for one another. They cooperated on many occasions while Julia was in Fillory until she was thrown into prison by Margo.
The Brakebills' Dean has, throughout previous interactions with her, developed a fondness of Julia, and in his own way admires her, possibly because of her stubborn desire to learn and her discipline is the same as his. They look to have a master-disciple kind of relationship, demonstrated in his talk to her in The Girl Who Told Time, while she was held captive in Brakebills' clean room.
Although not much contact has been made by the two, Margo has been enraged by Julia several times, due to her questionable judgment. The only times they've met alone, Margo insults her but ends up helping her, as when she needed the copy of a necromancy book and she needs to rob a bank so she can abort, or compliments her, assuming she admires her in "a sick way", and proceeds to imprison her.
- Julia seems to have a natural affinity for creation. Her discipline is Metacomposition which deals with the production of new spells, she was ecstatic at the notion of creating new worlds when she became a full-fledged god and even with her memory gone, Julia went into architecture.
- Julia has had much more interaction with gods than any other character.
- Some watchers believe that Julia's decision to sacrifice her goddesshood for her friend was foreshadowed by her "god name". She is Our Lady of the Tree because she is unable to "see the forest for the trees". She can't ignore the small individuals which sometimes impedes her view of the bigger picture.