|Also known as|| Marina|
Top Bitch in New York
|Occupation|| Student (former)|
|Portrayed by||Kacey Rohl|
|First Appearance||The Source of Magic|
|Last Appearance||The Flying Forest|
- "Top bitch in New York, for starters"
- —Marina about herself[src]
Marina was expelled from Brakebills three months prior to her graduation. She tests Julia and teaches her magic early on. At some point a Hedge Magician named Hannah casted magic that resulted in deaths and Marina cleaned up the mess, and to settle such a debt, Hannah's daughter, Kady Orloff-Diaz would attend Brakebills and smuggle magical objects and texts to Marina. When she first meets Julia, she pretends to be an amateur beginner, and she observes Julia as the initiate works to get them both out of a freezer. In The World in the Walls she used Julia to help her sneak into the school to take back her memories that were sealed inside a box in Dean Fogg's office in a elaborate plan that allowed her to enter Brakebills while the wards were lowered. After discovering Julia confessed what happened to Quentin, she burns red x's on Julia's stars and kicks her out. Later, when Julia and Hannah attempt to steal her spells, she curses them and causes Kady's mother to bleed to death. Marina visits Julia in rehab, saying she still respects Julia and she is willing to put aside all hostilities as long as Julia is willing to do the same.
Later on, Julia, with no one else to turn to, sought out Marina after a failed ritual which summoned a sadistic god of trickery, who killed the group of hedges and raped Julia. The god's assault was so traumatic to Julia that she begged Marina to alter her memories. Marina agreed to do so, only for her magic to be reversed by Ember.
Later, after Julia enlists the Beast's help in killing Reynard, he believes the god will not arrive without sufficient bait and kidnaps Marina. Julia asks her to help, but Marina chooses not to and leaves, but contacts another powerful Hedge Witch in San Francisco. Marina arrives to find the Hedge Magician brutally killed by Reynard so she seeks asylum at Brakebills, but she is denied sanctuary. Having nowhere else to turn to, she returns to Julia to help her kill Reynard.
When setting up the trap for Reynard, Marina was instructed to call on Our Lady Underground, but Martin teleported himself and Julia away from the scene as to not allow the god to discover the trap. Marina realized the two were gone after the ritual and Reynard did not show. She went back home, while Reynard was following her and confronted her. He bound her to a chair and taunted her, brutally killing her cat and biting off one of her fingers while Julia and Martin were trying to break down the wards around her home. Once the wards were broken, Martin trapped the god but before Julia could kill him, Penny teleported into the apartment and grabbed Martin, with Julia going along for the ride, leaving Marina alone with a freed Reynard. Julia returned to Marina's apartment to find Reynard gone and Marina's broken corpse.
A beautiful girl with short stature and with a slender physique. She has long dark auburn hair, fair skin with freckles. When she was introduced, she seemingly wore poor and dirty clothing but after revealing who she was, is often seen wearing stylish black clothes.
- "I am willing to teach the right people everything I know, and I know a lot, because I have certain connections in certain places, just like, for instance, Brakebills."
- —Marina to Julia[src]
She is shown to be extremely intelligent and calculating but showed a more compassionate side when she helped Julia. Marina is a solitary person who uses her wit sarcasm as a shield in relationships with other people. Marina is a very determined young woman, and in spite of her apparent perfidy and recklessness, she has much consideration of loyalty and takes revenge cruelly of those who betrayed her trust.
Magic and AbilitiesEdit
- Journeyman Hedge Magician: Marina was a dangerously skilled magician and one of the most skilled Hedge Witches of the series. She was able to use spells capable of killing, telekinesis, banishment, memory manipulation, and other dangerous magic. After retaining her memories from Brakebills, she became even stronger, due to the added praxis of Brakebills' curriculum and structured magic adding onto yer Hedge magic and practical experiences that came with it. After Reynard's attack, she aided Julia in cleaning up the mess and replaced the memories of the ritual with fake ones, a testament to her skill, though it was stated to be a poor job, as Ember was able to easily detect the anomaly.
- Gifted Intellect: Even when the full comprehension of magical theory taught at Brakebills University was removed from her memories, Marina was still exceptionally intelligent enough to relearn it's basics, notably advancing to the point where she was the self-proclaimed most powerful hedge witch in New York. As is the standard for all Magicians, Marina possessed an at least Above Average level of intelligence that enables her to grasp the concept of magic and apply it in the physical world. Marina's intellect and magical ability was boosted to surmountable levels after restoring her stolen Brakebills knowledge, covering magical praxis not readily accessible to her as a hedge.
- Multilingual: Marina, as well as every other Magician, is able to speak and read in a multitude of languages, as it is a basic requirement for spellcasting. This ability was likely increased or honed greatly with the addition of her restored memories.
- Master Manipulator: Marina, as per the lifestyle of a Hedge, was extremely manipulative in order to accomplish her goals. She was able to exploit her helping out Hannah by forcing her daughter, Kady, to steal knowledge and magicsl ingredoents and trinkets from Brakebills in order to keep her safehouse as top-of-the-line when it came to magical ability.
- Julia Wicker: 'To be added