| The Thick Plottens!|
This article contains plot details.
|Also known as|| The Beast|
|Relatives|| Jane Chatwin (sister)† |
Rupert Chatwin (brother)†
|Occupation||High King of Fillory (former)|
|Portrayed by|| Charles Mesure|
Anthony Marble (as The Beast)
Seth Meriwether (teen)
Nicholas Croucher (young)
|First Appearance||Unauthorized Magic|
|Last Appearance||Divine Elimination|
As the Beast, Martin's face was hidden by numerous moths, which constantly flew around him, obscuring his face. He has 6 fingers on each hand.
Martin, along with his sisters and brothers, were sent to live with their neighbors, novelist Christopher Plover and his sister, during World War II. Plover welcomed the children into his home, treating them as his own, while taking a particular liking to Martin. Throughout the years, Martin became the victim of Plover's abuse, being sexually assaulted and exploited by his caretaker, who viewed it as payment and gratitude for his adoption of the Chatwin children in their time of need.
When Martin discovered the magical gateway into Fillory, a land of gorgeous flora and whimsical fauna, Martin seized the opportunity to escape from the Plover household, later introducing the magical world to Jane and Rupert Chatwin. Plover would then create the Fillory and Further series loosely based off of the tales the Chatwin children would recount from their adventures in the distant world. Plover then devised a plan to join the Chatwins on their adventures to Fillory, much to the dismay of Martin.
Sometime later, Ember, the Fillorian God of Chaos, grew bored of the depressed Martin, banishing him from the world. Desparate, Martin pleaded with Jane to convince Ember to let him return. When this failed, Jane decided to request an altenate way into Fillory from the Questing Beast. Granting her wish, the Questing Beast gave Jane a magical button, stating that to travel to and from Fillory, one would have to simply touch the button. Helen Chatwin later hid the button, leading Martin to search for alternate routes into Fillory, eventually suceeding.
After his escape into Fillory, Martin ran across a pair of magicians, Julia and Quentin from the future, who promised to help him after completing their quest. During their absence, Martin discovered he had an aptitude for magic, learning all that he possibly could and, in the process, mutating into something more-or-less human. It was around this time that Martin decided to do away with his identity as a Chatwin, ceremoniously creating a headstone for himself as High King of Fillory.
Martin later appeared as The Beast, a mysterious entity that was accidentally let into Brakebills by Penny, Kady, Alice, and Quentin while attempting to summon Charlie Quinn, during Professor Van Der Weghe 's class.
The Beast's identity is later uncovered by Quentin and Julia during their time in Fillory.
Magic and AbilitiesEdit
Master Magician: Martin, due to his drinking from the wellspring of Fillory throughout his early years, has gained a surmountable amount of magical capability. In that time he also has become quite knowledgable about magic in general. Though not as refined as those who received formal education on magic, Martin is nevertheless able to perform feats not readily accessible to even some of Brakebills' faculty members. Martin could travel between dimensions, briefly incapacitate Deities, perceive magical wards without aid, possess others, telepathically communicate, and even paralyze a large group of people with ease. The acclimation of his power was not without it's own price, as Martin slowly lost all of his humanity with the peronsal amputation of his own Shade. However, even with the Beast's knowledge and skill, he was shown to be nowhere near the level of a Niffin.
- Telepathy: He has been shown to be able to psychically communicate and terroize Travelers across dimensional barriers.
- Interdimensional Travel: Martin, due to his love for Fillory, the whimsically beautiful land serving as a safe haven from Plover's abuse, searched for as many pathways into the world as he could. When he discovered he was no longer accpeted by Ember and Umber, he pleaded with his sister to find him a way in without the help of the Fillorian gods. Eventually, he was able to escape into Fillory forever, once and for all. He later acquired the ability to do so without the buttons aid, due to his over-exposure to Fillory's magic. This has manifested in a form similar to Travelers, as martin teleported himself and Julia from Fillory to earth with a slight gesture.
- Battle Magic: Martin has been shown to be well adept in the field of Battle Magic, as shown during his fight against five magicians at once and then again in a duel with Alice Quinn, where he was able to swiftly incapacitate and critically injure Quentin Coldwater with a single spell. He later was able to successfully fire off a fireball at Alice, even though he only had the use of one hand as he was significantly wounded by The Rhinemann Ultra, cast by an Essence-imbued Alice.
- Magic Enhanced Physiology: Martin Chatwin, due to his drinking from the Wellspring of Fillory over the years, has been physically altered by it's effects over time. Martin was shown to be physically mutated, having grown extra fingers on both hands, in order to manipulate magic to the high degree that he surpassed most Master Magicians. He has shown attributed such as enhanced durability and enhanced senses.
- Enhanced Durability: Martin was able to survive a direct hit from the Rhinemann Ultra, cast by an Essence-imbued Alice, followed by three attacks with the Majikku Misaru, with the third notably able to send him flying backwards. Hence, he was still able to stand and engage in combat with Alice singlehandedly, literally. Although, despite his enhanced durability, he wasn't able to survive being torn apart by Niffin Alice after her transformation.
- Extra-Sensory Perception: Martin was able to sense the presence of magicians like Quentin and Alice hiding in the brush behind him, as well as the wards and dimensional barriers of Brakebills being weakened by Alice's attempt to communicate with her brother Charlie.
- Master Manipulator: Even under the terms of a Word as Bond, Martin has shown himself to be capable of getting the odds to shift to his favor. He was able to trap Reynard the Fox by luring him with Marine Andrieski, deducing that the deity wouldn't reveal himself until she was vulnerable and secluded, despite him being under magical oath sworn to Julia to not harm her allies. He later attempted to use this skill to save himself, proceeding to try to sway Niffin Alice with the prospect of a deal, though this proved unsuccessful. Notably, Martin was able to convince Ember that he had killed his brother, Umber, with whom he had struck a deal with to abandon Fillory, thus making the god fear his supposed power.
- One of Martin's moths is larger and blue.