|Also known as||William|
|Occupation|| Student (formerly)|
|Portrayed by||Arjun Gupta|
|First Appearance||Unauthorized Magic|
|Last Appearance||We Have Brought You Little Cakes|
Before The Magicians Edit
He spent some time in Florida.
The Magicians Edit
Penny was first seen taking the entrance exam with Quentin and passed, becoming his new roommate. After passing Brakebills preliminary tests, Penny start dating Kady, one of his classmates. Unwillingly, he ended up involved with Quentin, Alice and Kady in the release of the Beast during a seeming failed ritual. Assigned to the psychic class, Penny found himself projected to the other part of the world and was rescued by Henry Fogg and Professor Sunderland, who made him aware of his Traveler abilities, and the training that he was supposed to undertake in order to control it.
Because of his Psychic abilities, Penny also began having disturbing visions about a woman held in chains in a dark dungeon by a man with his face covered with a swarm of moths, The Beast. Confronted with classmates, Penny discovered that he ended up in Fillory with his Traveler powers.
Following the meeting with Brakebills' alumni, Penny decided to suppress his skills by means of a tattoo binding, limiting his traveling only to astral projection. However, when the first-year class was sent to Brakebills South to study with Professor Mayakovsky, Penny decided to embrace his skills and master them. Unfortunately, during their stay at Brakebills South, he broke up with Kady as a result of disagreements over the nature of their relationship.
Penny, in the colloquial, is an asshole. He actively refuses offers of friendship and punishes his peers for any attempt to connect with him. But this attitude is the product of a lifetime of emotional neglect, for which he cannot be blamed. Also adding to his self-isolation is his magical speciality, which allows him to hear and read minds with little to no effort; a given if the mind isn't shielded. Despite his dislike for others, he has deep feelings for Kady, whom he entered a "friends with benefits" based relationship.
Unlike the books, the television interpretation of Penny is of Indian descent and has dark hair and eyes. He is often seen wearing vests with no shirt underneath and usually a scarf. He temporarily had a tattoo in his arm to control his Traveler powers, but it was removed by Mayakovsky to allow him to fully use his abilities.
Magic and AbilitiesEdit
- Magician: Penny Adiyodi is a very gifted and skilled magician, showing success in performing complex battle magic spells and nearly mastering Traveling. As a Psychic, Penny is able to passively hear the thoughts of others, a trait that seems to be enhanced by his Traveler discipline. He's been shown to be very knowledgeable about practical magic, utilizing an Emmerson's Alloy Repellant, a potent work of defensive magic, in order to stave off the voices he was hearing. As a neophyte of a Traveler, Penny has shown great proficiency in his aim under the tutelage of Professor Mayakovsky, who pushed Penny into the early stages of Interdimensional Travel while studying at Brakebills South.
- Psychic: Penny is able to listen and communicate with the mind of others. While initially disturbed by the prospect of being a "freak", Penny has become an accomplished Psychic, able to tune out the ambient voices around him through disciplined meditation and tutelage from Professor Mayakovsky. Originally utilizing a patch placed at the base of his neck to block the telepathic onslaught of The Beast, Penny later removed it in order to learn to control his abilities, though he's unable to enter the minds of those with powerful wards, such as Kady.
- Battle Magic: Due to the looming threat of The Beast, Penny, Quentin, and the rest of the Physical Kids taught themselves rudimentary Battle Magic with a little help from Kady. A testament to his prowess was his success in performing battle magic without having to remove his emotions along with Alice Quinn, unlike the rest of his peers.
- Traveling: As a Traveler, Penny is able to traverse instantly between locations freely without needing to resort to mediums, such as The Button, or through the application of portals. As revealed by Dean Fogg, this ability was exceedingly unique, with Fogg stating that Brakebills never had more than one Traveler at a time. Penny was at first fearful of this ability and tattooed an Anchoring Sigil onto himself to keep his body tethered to Earth, causing him resort to his ability to Astral Project. But he was promoted by Mayakovsky to travel without restraint, allowing him to become skillful with the ability. He's been shown to be able to travel to different locations on Earth instantaneously, as well as move between different and distant worlds such as Fillory, and The Neitherlands. His precision and proficiency allow him to enter heavily warded areas, such as Brakebills, an anti-Traveler warded bank vault, and Marina's apartment without hindrance. Notably, he was able to quickly travel from Fillory, appear in Marina's apartment, seize Julia and The Beast, and travel back to Fillory before the latter two could even react, all in mere seconds. When his hands were damaged by The Beast, this ability was unstable, along with the rest of his magic, causing him to Travel sporadically. However, despite all of his accomplishments, Penny never could learn to Travel with others with him until Victoria revealed a Traveler spell that allowed him to Travel with people.
- Astral Projection: In addition to Traveling corporally, Penny could separate his mind from his physical form, sending his consciousness out into the universe instead. He's used this a number of occasions throughout his time at Brakebills, as advised by Angry Barfly. During one of his Astral trips, he mistakenly landed in Fillory, appearing in a dungeon after hearing Victoria's calls for help, quickly leaving after understanding The Beast could see him. Most notably, he was able to use this technique to cheat during a series of Trials imposed by the Physical Kids' upperclassmen, Eliot and Margo.
- Gifted Intellect: Penny is able to grasp the full comprehension of magical theory as taught at Brakebills, even though he's shown a general lack of interest in its theoretical studies. As is the standard for all Magicians, Penny possesses at least an Above Average level of intelligence that enables him to utilize the concept of magic and apply it in the physical world. He's studied upon and learned from the works of Kaminsky, Umar, and Aurora - all of whom have published work specifically related to Travelers, as other Magicians who haven't studied upon the discipline have never even heard of them.
- Multilingual: Penny, as well as every other Magician, is able to speak and read in a multitude of languages, as it is a basic requirement for spell casting.