|Also known as|| King Quentin, The Moderately Socially Maladjusted|
Q (by Julia)
|Relatives||Ted Coldwater (father)|
King of Fillory
|Portrayed by||Jason Ralph|
|First Appearance||Unauthorized Magic|
|Last Appearance||We Have Brought You Little Cakes|
Quentin Coldwater is one of the main protagonists in The Magicians.
Before the MagiciansEdit
Quentin had previously died in 39 previous time loops in an effort to go against the Beast.
When the story begins, Quentin is living in Brooklyn and preparing for a Princeton alumni interview with his childhood friend, Julia and her boyfriend James. After he finds the would-be interviewer dead, a piece of paper moved by the wind lures him to a hidden portal that brings him to Brakebills, an elite college of magic in upstate New York.
He passes an entrance exam then proves his magical prowess, and is admitted to matriculate there along with the other studying magicians. He remains at the school for the short time before the school year starts, spending his days with Eliot, who he met when he first arrived on campus.
In The World in the Wall Quentin wakes up in a mental hospital.
Mendings, Major and Minor starts with Quentin in the deans office, asking him about Julia and what's going to happen, to wich the dean replies he won't do anything about her. Quentin learns that his father has brain cancer.
Quentin has long, brown hair and brown eyes. His hair tends to look a little unwashed at times and gets messy, giving him an overall scruffy appearance.
Quentin has long been a fan of the "Fillory and Further" book series and yearns to fill his life with the same adventures found in the books.
He suffers from clinical depression and checked himself into a hospital for this (this is only hinted at in the books but shown in the show). He is mentioned to be suicicdal at times, however has never seemed to seriously talk about it so far in the show, only ever mentioning it on the off occasion. He does not hide his depression, and is in fact very open with it. He is also very shy and socially awkward, often stuttering.
As the series progresses, Quentin expresses a desire to be Fillory's hero and savior, but decides that Alice, a much more powerful magician than him, should be that hero. Despite their tumltous relationship, he truly loved Alice and briefly gave up magic upon her "death". He is intelligent, as he was able to restore Alice back to a human by using her shade as part of the spell.
Magic and AbilitiesEdit
- Magician: Quentin's discipline is currently undetermined. Nevertheless, Quentin is still considered to be a very gifted magician with great potential. His discipline of 'minor repairs' in the books has been mentioned in the show, with Quentin seeing it as mostly useless. Though his Discipline is yet to be determined, Quentin is able to perform different kinds of magic and spells to varying degrees of success, though he has been grouped with the Physical Kids for the time being. He was able to summon a pocket watch into his hand when The Beast first attacked, and in Fillory when he materialized a sword into his hands to face Ember. During the Welters Competition, Quentin was able to create a miniature storm, winning the team the game, however, he had little control over it, as he struggled to shut it down.
- Telekinesis: As a Physical Kid, Quentin has shown himself to be quite adept at using telekinesis, notably during his Entrance Exam into Brakebills when he manipulated a deck of cards telekinetically and formed a replica of Brakebills University.
- Battle Magic: Quentin first used battle magic without knowing what he was doing. He used it against Penny after memorizing the spell cast by Kady during The Beast's attack. Due to the looming threat of The Beast, Quentin, Penny, and the rest of the Physical Kids taught themselves rudimentary Battle Magic with a little help from Kady. As Battle Magic requires years to master, the group took the shortcut to quicken the process by suppressing their emotions in magical flasks. After becoming more affiliated with Battle Magic, Quentin no longer needed to bottle up his emotions, as shown when Quentin used his new found skills to battle the Beast. However, his magic was still relatively weak during the confrontation, as The Beast was able to easily deflect his attacks.
- Interdimensional Travel: While in possession of The Button, Quentin was able to traverse between Fillory, The Neitherlands, and Earth.
- Gifted Intellect: Quentin is able to grasp the full comprehension of magical theory as taught at Brakebills. As is the standard for all Magicians, Quentin possesses at least an Above Average level of intelligence that enables him to utilize the concept of magic and apply it in the physical world. He was slated to go to Princeton before his discovery of Brakebills, as well as was able to beat the Madness Maker, a rogue trickster magician gone insane, at his own game, a testament to his intellect. Quentin's understanding of magical theory allowed him to create the ritual used to bring back Alice from her state as a Niffin.
- Multilingual: Quentin, as well as every other Magician, is able to speak and read in a multitude of languages, as it is a basic requirement for spellcasting.
Quentin and his father had a strained relationship for a long time. Since Quentin has found out his father has brain cancer, they started to reconcile. Quentin desperately wants to cure his fathers brain cancer, the newly discovered illness being all he can think about for a while, but he eventually accepts that curing cancer is impossible even with magic after he tries the cancer curing spell on a puppy and ends up killing it. His father knows about his magic abilities, and accepts them.
She and Quentin are childhood friends, but him going to Brakebills has put a strain on their relationship. After Quentin learned of the previous time loops, they reconciled their friendship after he apologized for not believing in her. It's hinted that he had an attraction to her during their friendship.
Quentin met Eliot on his first day in Brakebills. Since then, they have been friends, talking and drinking together. Quentin for the most part ignored Eliot's frequent sexual comments, however when trapped in his own dream due to the spell cast upon him by the Hedge Witches, Eliot comes at Quentin in an extremely sexual way, offering pleasure in return for drugs, showing Quentin may be taking Eliot's advances more seriously than it seems. Later on Quentin has a drunk threesome with Margo and Eliot whilst in his relationship with Alice. While this strains their relationship, they eventually make up as they become Fillorian Kings.
Quentin first approaches Alice for help when he receives the sigil on his hand, and tries to summon her deceased brother, inadvertedly summoning the beast. He has sex with Alice whilst driven by animalistic desire, and their relationship then builds from there. However the two break up after Margo, Eliot and Quentin have a threesome, and Quentin then overhears Alice having sex with Penny, Alice later saying he 'can't shame [her] for it' due to him sleeping with Eliot and Margo, Quentin in return arguing that he was drunk on emotion magic and she was not. Their relationship only continues to worsen after Alice becomes a niffin, after which Quentin goes against his promise to let her be free and restores her humanity.
Since the start, Penny has found Quentin irritating, while Quentin considers him a douchebag. The two fight and Quentin uses battle magic on Penny which backfires and hits himself. As Penny learns that the Beast is invading his head and trying to kill him, they begin a frenemy based relationship, Quentin saving Penny's life and vice versa.