|The Magicians (TV series)|
|Created by|| Sera Gamble|
|Based on||The Magicians by Lev Grossman|
|Written by||Lev Grossman|
|Starring|| Jason Ralph|
Olivia Taylor Dudley
|Executive producer(s)|| Mike Cahill|
Henry Alonso Myers
|Running time||41–52 minutes|
|Production company(s)|| McNamara Moving Company|
Man Sewing Dinosaur
Universal Cable Productions
|Filmed in|| New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S. (Pilot)|
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
|Original run||December 16, 2015 - Present|
The Magicians is the television adaptation by Syfy of Lev Grossman's series of the same name. The series' first season features 13 episodes with the pilot premiering on December 16, 2015 ahead of its two-hour official premiere on January 25, 2016.
The Magicians centers around Brakebills University, a secret institution specializing in magic. There, amidst an unorthodox education of spellcasting, a group of twenty-something friends soon discover that a magical fantasy world they read about as children is all too real— and poses a grave danger to humanity.
- Jason Ralph as Quentin Coldwater
- Stella Maeve as Julia Wicker
- Olivia Taylor Dudley as Alice Quinn
- Hale Appleman as Eliot Waugh
- Arjun Gupta as Penny
- Summer Bishil as Margo Hanson
- Rick Worthy as Henry Fogg (season 2–present; recurring season 1)
- Jade Tailor as Kady Orloff-Diaz (season 2–present; recurring season 1)
- Trevor Einhorn as Josh Hoberman (season 3; recurring season 2; guest season 1)
- Brittany Curran (season 3; recurring season 2) and Laci J. Mailey (guest season 1) as Fen
- Anne Dudek as Pearl Sunderland (season 1-2)
- Esmé Bianco as Jane Chatwin/Eliza (season 1)
- Rose Liston as Young Jane Chatwin (season 1)
- David Call as Pete (season 1)
- Kacey Rohl as Marina Andrieski (seasons 1–2)
- Mackenzie Astin as Richard Corrigan
- Keegan Connor Tracy as Professor Lipson
- Charles Mesure as Martin Chatwin/The Beast
- Katie Findlay as Eve (season 1)
- Garcelle Beauvais as Persephone (season 1-2)
- Mageina Tovah as Zelda Schiff (season 2; guest season 1)
- Adam DiMarco as Todd (season 2-present; guest season 1)
- Rizwan Manji as Tick Pickwick (season 2-present)
- Sergio Osuna as Rafe (season 2 - present)
- Arlen Escarpeta as Prince Ess (season 2)
- Christopher Gorham as John Gaines (season 2)
- Harvey Guillen as Benedict Pickwick (season 2)
- Imogen Tear as Young Julia (season 2)
- Leonard Roberts as Idri (season 2)
- Dina Meyer as Stone Queen (season 3)
- Felicia Day as Poppy Kline (season 3)
- Jaime Ray Newman as Irene McAllister (season 3)
The show was originally planned for FOX, but on February 2012 the adaptation was announced to be canceled. In 2014, SyFy announced it would be producing an hour-long drama adaptation of the novel. The pilot was greenlit on July 9, 2014, and officially ordered to series on May 4, 2015.
Sera Gamble, former Supernatural showrunner, and In Plain Sight's John McNamara are on board as executive producers and writers for the project. On September 2, 2014, it was announced that Mike Cahill was tapped to direct the pilot.
On December 3, 2014 Jason Ralph and Sosie Bacon were announced to play the roles of Quentin Coldwater and Alice Quinn respectively but Sosie was eventually replaced by Olivia Taylor Dudley on August 5, 2015.
A second season was announced on February 8, 2016. The show returned in 2017 and featured 13 episodes.
A third season was announced on April 12, 2017. 
A fourth season was announced on February 28, 2018.
- Janet Pluchinsky's name was changed to Margo Hanson to avoid confusion as several other characters also had names that began with "J"- Jane Chatwin, Julia Wicker, etc. This was pointed out by Zelda Shiff, the Head Librarian of the Library of the Neitherlands, as she calls Margo "Janet". When Margo says it's not her name, she merely states that is not the case this time.
- In Season Four, Margo's new identiy's name is changed to Janet as a nod to the original character.
- ↑ Variety - Syfy’s ‘The Magicians’ Trailer Shows a Whole New Side of Magic
- ↑ Polygon - Syfy's TV adaptation of The Magicians looks promising in this trailer
- ↑ the FUTON CRITIC - New Syfy and Universal Cable Productions Drama "The Magicians" Premieres on Monday, January 25
- ↑ Syfy - The Magicians Cast
- ↑ Deadline - Syfy Orders ‘The Magicians’ Pilot Based On Lev Grossman Fantasy Books
- ↑ Deadline - ‘The Magicians’ Picked Up To Series By Syfy
- ↑ The Hollywood Reporter - Syfy Taps Mike Cahill to Direct 'The Magicians' (Exclusive)
- ↑ Deadline - Jason Ralph & Sosie Bacon To Star In ‘The Magicians’ On Syfy
- ↑ AV Club - Syfy’s The Magicians conjures up a new female lead, gets underway
- ↑ mashable.com
- ↑ twitter.com
- ↑ nola.com
- ↑ Variety - ‘The Magicians’ Renewed for Season 2 on Syfy
- ↑ Variety - ‘The Magicians’ Renewed by Syfy for Season 3
- ↑ Spoiler TV - The Magicians - Renewed for a 4th Season