William Adiyodi was born in 1993, and spent his childhood in Florida. Before his admittance to Brakebills, Penny lived in Florida. As his magic began to develop, and his Psychic abilities grew, he became able to hear the thought of those around him, as well as voices from other worlds. One voice in particular, later revealed to be The Beast was louder and clearer than others, and guided Penny through honing his abilities, teaching him about magic. Penny stated that that voice became his best friend.
Penny was first seen taking the Entrance Exam with Quentin and passed, becoming his new roommate. After meeting in Professor Sunderland's class, Penny start dating Kady, one of his classmates. Unwillingly, he ended up involved with Quentin, Alice, and Kady in the release of the Beast during a seeming failed ritual. Assigned to the psychic class, Penny found himself transported to the other part of the world, in India, and was rescued by Dean Fogg and Professor Sunderland, who informed him that he was a Traveler, and the training that he was supposed to undertake in order to control it would need to begin soon.
Because of his Psychic abilities, Penny also began hearing the desperate cries for help by a woman bound and trapped in a dark dungeon by the Beast. With help from his classmates, Penny discovered that it was Fillory he was Traveling to.
Following the meeting with Brakebills' alumni, Penny decided to suppress his skills by means of a tattoo binding, limiting his traveling only to astral projection. However, when the first-year class was sent to Brakebills South to study with Professor Mayakovsky, Penny decided to embrace his skills and master them. At Brakebills South Kady allowed Penny to read her mind and discover the truth about her. He then concocted a plan to run away with Kady. Unbeknownst to Penny, Professor Mayakovsky also read Kady's mind when she lowered her Wards and discovered the truth as well. Having lied during her admittance exam, her employment with the hedge witch Marina Andrieski and the recent death of her mother Hannah, Kady was expelled from Brakebills. With no explanation or goodbye, Kady left Brakebills South, leaving Penny heartbroken. After this Mike, while being controlled by The Beast, tried to kill Quentin but Penny intervened and got stabbed with the Virgo Blade and was dying the only way to save him was to burn something he had an emotional connection to. Quentin and Alice found the last thing Kady gave him and was saved
To be added
Brakebills' Observation Notes
Penny, in the colloquial, is an asshole. He actively refuses offers of friendship and punishes his peers for any attempt to connect with him. But this attitude is the product of a lifetime of emotional neglect, for which he cannot be blamed. If we're being optimistic, we can hope that, pending admission, Penny will slowly warm to the sense of community fostered among his class. But if we're being realistic, we can assume that this will not be the case and his aggression will impact the more sensitive students (among the prospectives, Quentin Coldwater stands out as a prime example).
But Penny possesses such a high level of magical talent that we are willing to overlook whatever disruption he might bring to the class. While his particular talents have yet to be identified, the volume of magical ability that he possesses is impossible to ignore. Which has also been his problem – he has this immense level of magical ability, but he believes it to be a psychiatric ailment, for which he has been driven to dangerous self-medicating. Without the training to harness and control his abilities, William has been tortured by them. Upon admission to Brakebills, we could help him to deal with these gifts.
Magic and Abilities
Magician: William Adiyodi is a very gifted and skilled magician, showing success in performing complex battle magic spells and nearly mastering Traveling. As a Psychic, Penny is able to passively hear the thoughts of others, a trait that seems to be enhanced by his Traveler discipline. He's been shown to be very knowledgeable about practical magic, utilizing an Emmerson's Alloy Repellant, a potent work of defensive magic, in order to stave off the voices he was hearing. As a neophyte of a Traveler, Penny has shown great proficiency in his aim under the tutelage of Professor Mayakovsky, who pushed Penny into the early stages of interdimensional travel while studying at Brakebills South.
- Psychic: Penny is able to listen and communicate with the mind of others. While initially disturbed by the prospect of being a "freak", Penny has become an accomplished Psychic, able to tune out the ambient voices around him through disciplined meditation and tutelage from Professor Mayakovsky. Originally utilizing a Psychic Patch placed at the base of his neck to block the telepathic onslaught of The Beast, Penny later removed it in order to learn to control his abilities, though he's unable to enter the minds of those with powerful wards, such as Kady.
- Dream Manipulation: Penny has displayed the ability to interact with the dreams of others and communicate through them. He was able to enter Quentin's mind even though he was under the effects of the Scarlotti's Web hex, as well as enter Margo's dream on one occasion. He can project himself to a specific person's dreams even from another dimension, such as when he communicated with Quentin in his dreams from the Neitherlands.
- Battle Magic: Due to the looming threat of The Beast, Penny, Quentin, and the rest of the Physical Kids taught themselves rudimentary Battle Magic with some guidance from Kady. A testament to his prowess was his success in performing battle magic without having to remove his emotions along with Alice Quinn, unlike the rest of his peers.
- Traveling: As a Traveler, Penny is able to traverse instantly between locations freely without needing to resort to mediums, such as the Magical buttons, or through the application of portals. As revealed by Dean Fogg, this ability was exceedingly unique, with Fogg stating that Brakebills never had more than one Traveler at a time. Penny was at first fearful of this ability and tattooed an Anchoring Sigil onto himself to keep his body tethered to Earth, causing him resort to his ability to Astral Project. But he was promoted by Mayakovsky to travel without restraint, allowing him to become skillful with the ability. He's been shown to be able to travel to different locations on Earth instantaneously, as well as move between different and distant worlds such as Fillory, and The Neitherlands. His precision and proficiency allow him to enter heavily warded areas, such as Brakebills, an anti-Traveler warded bank vault, and Marina's apartment without hindrance. Notably, he was able to quickly travel from Fillory, appear in Marina's apartment, seize Julia and The Beast, and travel back to Fillory before the latter two could even react, all in mere seconds. When his hands were damaged by The Beast, this ability was unstable, along with the rest of his magic, causing him to Travel sporadically. However, despite all of his accomplishments, Penny never could learn to Travel with others with him until Victoria revealed a Traveler spell that allowed him to Travel with people.
- Astral Projection: In addition to Traveling corporally, Penny could separate his mind from his physical form, sending his consciousness out into the universe instead. He's used this a number of occasions throughout his time at Brakebills, as advised by Angry Barfly. During one of his Astral trips, he mistakenly landed in Fillory, appearing in a dungeon after hearing Victoria's calls for help, quickly leaving after understanding The Beast could see him. Most notably, he was able to use this technique to cheat during a series of Trials imposed by the Physical Kids' upperclassmen, Eliot and Margo.
- Gifted Intellect: Penny is able to grasp the full comprehension of magical theory as taught at Brakebills, even though he's shown a general lack of interest in its theoretical studies. As is the standard for all Magicians, Penny possesses at least an Above Average level of intelligence that enables him to utilize the concept of magic and apply it in the physical world. He's studied upon and learned from the works of Kaminsky, Umar, and Aurora - all of whom have published work specifically related to Travelers, as other Magicians who haven't studied upon the discipline have never even heard of them.
- Multilingual: Penny, as well as every other Magician, is able to speak and read in a multitude of languages, as it is a basic requirement for spell casting.